According to the revised fares, the metre down charge (minimum fare) for the initial 1.5 kilometre for auto-rickshaws has been increased from Rs 25 to Rs 30, while the per kilometre charge after metre down has been hiked from Rs 9.50 to Rs 11.
For taxis, the per kilometre charge after metre down has been hiked from Rs 14 to Rs 17 for non-AC vehicles and from Rs 16 to Rs 20 for AC vehicles.
The last revision in the auto-rickshaw fares happened in 2020 while that for taxi which includes black-and-yellow taxi, economy taxi and premium taxi happened nine years back in 2013.
Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot had received many representations from the auto-rickshaw and taxi associations and unions on the issue of hike in fares.
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Police say suspect in attack on Paul Pelosi arrested on attempted homicide, assault and other charges, reports AP
US CDC says Omicron subvariant BA.5 represents 49.6% of total Covid-19 cases in the United States, as of Oct 29, 2022
IndiGo flight 6E-2131 (Delhi to Bangalore) grounded at Delhi airport
- IndiGo flight 6E-2131 (Delhi to Bangalore) grounded at Delhi airport after a suspected spark in the aircraft
- An aircraft operating flight 6E-2131 (Delhi-Bangalore) experienced a technical issue while on take-off roll, immediately after which the pilot aborted the takeoff & aircraft returned to the bay. All passengers & crew are safe & an alternate aircraft is being arranged: IndiGo
- An aircraft operating flight 6E-2131 experienced an engine stall during take-off roll. All passengers are being accommodated on an alternate aircraft: IndiGo
North Korea fires two missiles into sea
North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles off its east coast, South Korea’s military said, while South Korean forces were wrapping up nearly two weeks of exercises aimed at deterring their northern neighbour.
NIA likely to take over investigation tomorrow, VHP leader to visit spot
India needs 108 million tonnes of foodgrains a year: Piyush Goyal
The country needs 108 million tonnes of foodgrains every year to support 80 crore poor people who get 10 kg of rice or wheat every month, under the Prime Minister Garib Kalyan Yojana, said Piyush Goyal. In an interactive session at the Federation of Telangana Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Goyal said there is a fear that production of foodgrains may drop in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, though it is not confirmed yet due to untimely rain.
Russia mobilised 300,000 reservists to join Moscow’s offensive in Ukraine in just over a month, defence minister says in televised meeting with President Putin
Kerala MLAs visits Southern Naval Command to overview navy training
A group of MLAs from Kerala and Government officials visited Southern Naval Command, Kochi. The two-day event was aimed at providing a brief overview of the operations and training aspects of the Indian Navy with emphasis on challenges in the Maritime domain. “Two days visit to Navy headquarter was wonderful. This visit was arranged by Indian Navy as per the direction given by PM Modi. He personally took initiative to make this type of visit of Members of Legislative Assemblies all over India,” said KT Jaleel, MLA & former Kerala Minister.
Congress Leader Rahul Gandhi congratulates Twitter Chief Elon Musk
Congrats @elonmusk. I hope @Twitter will now act against hate speech, fact check more robustly, and will no longer… https://t.co/QKs5BWMnuK
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) 1666961075000
TN Governor RN Ravi expressed serious concern over Coimbatore blast case
Tamil Nadu Governor RN Ravi expressed serious concern over the delay of four days in handing over the Coimbatore blast case to NIA and possible destruction of crucial evidence in a high-profile terror plot. Governor also praised the police which established the car blast as a serious terror attack conspiracy within hours of incident & lamented soft peddling by State govt. He urged no politics on terrorism & no leniency to terrorists as they’re enemies of nation & friends of none.
NIA arrest PFI’s state secretary C A Rauf from Kerala
Banned PFI’s state secretary C A Rauf arrested from Kerala for his alleged involvement in unlawful activities and encouraging youth to join terrorist groups as part of conspiracy to establish “Islamic rule” in India, informed NIA.
White-rum leader Bacardi now enters domestic whisky space
Bacardi, the Mexican liquor major known for its eponymous white-rum brand, is entering the domestic whisky market with Legacy, being bottled from its Nasik plant and priced in the mid-premium range. The 158-year-old brand based in Santiago de Cuba, is better known as the white rum brand in the country and has been the market leader here since its entry a few decades back.
US sanctions Iranian group that put a bounty on life of author Salman Rushdie, who was violently attacked in August, reports AP
Maha govt has downgraded security for several former Ministers in MVA, Chaggan Bhujbal, Jayant patil and other security brought down while Milind Narvekar Pa to Uddhav Thackeray has been increased (ET Bureau)
Dr Rajesh Ranjan, presently High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Botswana, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Cote d’Ivoire: Ministry of External Affairs
Shanghai district orders mass COVID-19 testing, lockdown
China’s largest city of Shanghai is ordering mass testing of all 1.3 million residents of its downtown Yangpu district and confining them to their homes at least until results are known. The demand is an echo of measures ordered over the summer that led to a two-month lockdown of the entire city of 25 million that devastated its economy, prompting food shortages and rare confrontations between residents and the authorities.
Tatas, Lockheed Martin in talks to make Sikorsky S-76 helicopters in India
The S-76 is a medium-sized helicopter widely put to both civilian and military use in many countries. The armed forces of Britain, Japan, Spain, Saudi Arabia and Argentina use (or used earlier) it.
Delhi’s air quality plunges to ‘severe’ category
Delhi's air quality plunges to 'severe' category for the first time this season Visuals from Vijay Chowk, India Ga… https://t.co/OBNLCuApYx
— ANI (@ANI) 1666966955000
Panels to be set up for resolving social media users’ grievances
The government tweaked IT rules to pave way for setting up of grievance appellate panels, which will settle issues that users may have against the way social media platforms initially addressed their complaints regarding content and other matters. These committees will be able to review content moderation decisions by social media companies like Meta and Twitter.
Azam Khan disqualified from UP Assembly
SP leader and Rampur MLA Azam Khan was on Friday disqualified from the membership of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly, as per the Office of UP Assembly Speaker, a day after he was sentenced to 3 years in prison along with a fine of Rs 2,000 in a hate speech case of 2019.
Delhi: Revised fares for Auto Rickshaws and Taxis
Delhi government approves revised fares for Auto Rickshaws and Taxis in Delhi https://t.co/AhukmleoBv
— ANI (@ANI) 1666965872000
Trump says he’s happy Twitter in ‘sane hands’
Former US President Donald Trump said he was happy Twitter Inc was in ‘sane hands’ after Elon Musk formally took over, but did not say whether he would return to his account on the platform that banned him.
PM Narendra Modi says no person or institution indulging in corruption will be spared
Delhi govt approves increased auto-rickshaw and taxi fares in view of rising CNG prices: Statement (PTI)
Elon Musk takes control of Twitter, fires top executives: US media (AFP)
Spokesman: Speaker Pelosi’s husband ‘violently assaulted’ in home break-in, now in hospital, expected to fully recover, reports AP
‘Let the good times roll’: Musk tweets as new Twitter boss
“The bird is freed,” Musk had tweeted on Friday after completing the takeover of Twitter and firing the social media giant’s four top executives, including Agrawal, legal executive Vijaya Gadde, Chief Financial Officer Ned Segal and General Counsel Sean Edgett.
Kremlin confirms Putin to host talks between Armenia, Azerbaijan leaders in Sochi on Monday (AFP)
(Delhi CM) Arvind Kejriwal is speaking only what RSS is getting him to speak. He is using language similar to that of BJP’s and RSS’, good sense should prevail on him
– Samajwadi Party leader Swami Prasad Maurya, says Kejriwal can do anything in his greed for votes
Tata Airbus: Investors don’t have confidence in ‘khoke sarkar’, taunts Aaditya Thackeray
Former Maharashtra minister Aaditya Thackeray said investors did not have confidence in the Eknath Shinde-BJP government, which he referred to as “khoke sarkar”, and that was resulting in projects moving out of the state. The Shiv Sena (Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray) leader slammed CM Eknath Shinde, saying after taking charge in June he was busy addressing political gatherings instead of visiting other states seeking investments.
Malabar becomes first jeweller to import gold under CEPA
The group has effectively utilised the duty benefits of the agreement both in import and export for the first time in India. The Company has also been among the first few jewellers to receive the permission to export jewellery to the UAE with tax concessions under this agreement in May 2022.
Iran also barred from Nobel ceremony, after Russia, Belarus
The ambassador of Iran also been excluded from this year’s Nobel Prize ceremony in Stockholm because of the serious and escalating situation in the country, the private foundation that administers the prestigious awards said. Earlier this week, the envoys of Russia and Belarus were barred from attending the glittery event because of the war in Ukraine.
Pakistan: Imran Khan starts long march
Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan, once again applauded India for its independent foreign policy and New Delhi’s purchase of Russian oil in line with its national interests despite Western pressure amid the Ukraine war.
German inflation hits 10.4% in October: Official data (AFP)
India’s foreign exchange reserves fell $3.85 billion to $524.52 billion
- India’s foreign exchange reserves further fell to an over two-year low for the week ended October 14, as the central bank continued to defend the rupee’s downslide while ignoring depleting forex reserves to be a major concern.
- The foreign exchange reserves of Asia’s third largest economy fell by $3.85 billion to $524.52 billion for the week ending Oct 21, according to data released today by the Reserve Bank of India.
Delhi reports highest pollution of the season, air quality hits ‘Severe’ in some areas
Indian steel industry has become second largest in world: PM Narendra Modi
- As we’re proceeding toward the target of a developed nation, steel industry will play a vital role in strengthening the infra of the country. Indian steel industry has become second largest in world thanks to everybody’s efforts in last eight years: PM Narendra Modi in virtual address
- Earlier we had to import high-grade steel for defence sector, but now steel used in building INS Vikrant was made in India: PM Modi
- It’s our goal to double the production of crude steel in India. The govt has set a target to achieve 300 million tonnes of crude steel production in the upcoming years. The govt is promoting circular means of production through Public Private Partnership (PPP) model: PM
Sunak, Macron agree greater cooperation on Channel migrants: Downing Street
Imran Khan launches all out attack on ISI
Imran Khan launches all out attack on ISI, vows to expose them ‘completely’.
England vs Australia T20 World Cup match in Melbourne abandoned due to rain
Domestic stock markets rise
Sensex rises by 203 points to end at 59,959; Nifty at 17,796
Rupee falls 15 paise to close at 82.48 (provisional) against US dollar
Online Ph.D by EdTech cos in collaboration with foreign educational institutions not recognised: UGC & AICTE
- Online Ph.D programmes offered by EdTech companies in collaboration with foreign educational institutions not recognised, say UGC and AICTE
- Students should not be misled by advertisements for online Ph.D courses offered by EdTech companies with foreign varsities
Delhi govt appeals LG to grant approval to ‘Red Light On, Gaadi Off’ campaign to curb pollution
- Red light on, gaadi off’ campaign to be postponed as LG has not given his nod: Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai
- Gopal Rai appeals to LG to grant approval to ‘Red Light On, Gaadi Off’ campaign to curb pollution
Twitter rolls out downvote feature for users after takeover by Elon Musk
- Twitter’s ‘downvote’ feature is now being rolled out to more users.
- The downvote button on Twitter is not like a dislike button on YouTube.
- This feature is not for direct posts but for replies to posts.
- It is Twitter’s way of dealing with abusive language and irrelevant comments.
- The downvotes won’t be public and there won’t be any way to count them on the front end.
South Indian Bank gets RBI nod for re-appointment of Salim Gangadharan as part-time non-exec chairman for 1 year
Maruti Suzuki Q2 net profit rises four-fold to Rs 2,112.5 crore
- Maruti Suzuki Q2 net profit rises four-fold to Rs 2,112.5 crore; total revenue up 46 pc at Rs 29,942.5 crore
- Maruti says shortage of electronic components impacted production by about 35,000 vehicles in Q2
- Pending customer orders stood at about 4.12 lakh units, says Maruti
North Korea fires two short-range ballistic missile into waters off the east coast of the Korean Peninsula
North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missile into waters off the east coast of the Korean Peninsula on Friday, according to South Korean military officials, adding to tensions in the region
Medanta brand-owner Global Health sets IPO price band at Rs 319-336/share
- Global Health, which operates and manages hospitals under the Medanta brand, on Friday said it has set a price band of Rs 319-336 a share for its Rs 2,206 crore initial public offering (IPO).
- The initial share sale will open for public subscription during November 3-7.
- The bidding for anchor investors will open on November 2, according to the company.
- The IPO consists of a fresh issue of equity shares aggregating to Rs 500 crore and an offer for sale (OFS) of up to 5.08 crore equity shares.
- As a part of the OFS, Anant Investments, an affiliate of private equity major Carlyle Group, and Sunil Sachdeva (jointly with Suman Sachdeva) will offload equity shares.
- At present, Anant Investments holds a 25.64 per cent stake in Global Health and Sachdeva owns a 13.41 per cent stake in the company.
- At the upper end of the price band, the company is expected to fetch Rs 2,206 crore through the IPO.
Former Gujarat CM Shankersinh Vaghela’s son Mahendrasinh Vaghela joins Congress
Swedish appliance manufacturer Electrolux announces up to 4,000 lay-offs worldwide
Rajnath Singh inaugurates 75 infrastructure projects in Ladakh
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated 75 infrastructure projects, including Shyok Setu in Leh, Ladakh today.
KKR raises $6 billion for biggest Asia infrastructure fund -sources
- KKR has raised nearly $6 billion for its second Asia Pacific infrastructure fund at the first-close, marking the biggest ever private equity fundraising for the sector in the region, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.
- The record commitments to the fund just seven months after its launch underscores investors’ appetite to buy into diversified infrastructure assets at a time when soaring inflation and higher interest rates have depressed deals in many sectors.
Key conspirators of 26/11 attacks continue to remain protected and unpunished: S Jaishankar
- Key conspirators and planners of 26/11 terror attacks continue to remain protected and unpunished: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar at UN meeting on combating terror.
- UNSC has been regrettably unable to act in some cases when it comes to proscribing some terrorists because of political considerations: Jaishankar
Germany plans to legalize recreational cannabis for adults
Rajasthan State Commission for Women takes cognizance of media reports that minor girls in some districts of Rajasthan are sold
Rajasthan State Commission for Women takes cognizance of media reports that minor girls in some districts of Rajasthan are sold on Stamp Paper, issues notice to the Director General of Police & Bhilwara Collector, demands immediate action and factual report in 7 days
Man kills self over ‘harassment by money lender’ in UP’s Bhadohi
- A 48-year-old man killed himself after allegedly being harassed by a lender from whom he had taken a loan of Rs 50,000, police here said on Friday.
- Chitrakoot district native Dashrath Singh lived in a rented house at Pasian in Gopiganj police station limits with his wife Durga Devi and their 12-year-old son.
- He used to run a street food kiosk in the area, Inspector Gaya Prasad Shukla of Gopiganj police station said.Durga Devi alleged that Singh had taken Rs 50,000 from a money lender from Mirzapur and was regularly making interest payments.
- Recently, after he missed a few payments due to unspecified reasons, the money lender allegedly started threatening him, Shukla said.
Delhi HC issues notice to Centre on plea about delimitation of Municipal wards
Delhi High Court issues notice to Centre and other respondents on a plea moved by Delhi Congress President Chaudhary Anil Kumar challenging the notification issued in regard to the delimitation of Municipal wards in Delhi.
Filmmaker who rammed wife with car after being caught with woman arrested
- Mumbai police arrested film producer Kamal Kishor Mishra early for allegedly ramming his car into his wife after she spotted him with another woman in the vehicle in Mumbai
- The alleged incident had taken place on October 19 in the parking lot of the couple’s apartment in Andheri (West) when Mishra’s wife found him with another woman in the car.
- On Thursday, Kamal Mishra, the producer of Hindi film ‘Dehati Disco’, was taken to the Amboli police station from his home after his wife lodged a complaint against him.
Afghanistan Vs Ireland T20 World Cup match abandoned due to rain in Melbourne