106-year-old Shyam Singh Negi had cast his vote for the first time in 1951 general elections(Pic courtesy: ANI)
A teacher by profession, Negi voted for the first time in the 1951 general elections. Popularly known as Master Shyam, the centenarian has voted in every election since 1951 without fail.
After casting his vote, Negi said that every citizen should vote for strengthening the democratic set-up. “The young voters should consider their duty to vote and contribute to strengthening the Nation,” he said.
The authorities had laid a red carpet for Negi at the booth where he exercised his right to franchise and thereafter his vote was sealed in an envelope and dropped in the ballot box.
Even as we progress medically, average life expectancy has increased over the years. As per the UN estimates India’s life expectancy is 1950 was 35.21 and it will be 81.96 in the year 2100, while in 2022 it is 70.19.
Tips for longevity
According to health experts, older people tend to be healthier nowadays. Research has shown that lifestyle changes can help you stay active and healthy into your 70s, 80s, and beyond. Here are a few tips you can follow for a long, healthy, and happy life:
- Exercise regularly: A balance between a healthy body and mind can be achieved through regular exercise and workouts. Health experts say that keeping physically active can keep you healthy and add years to your life. According to Healthline, even 15 minutes of daily exercise can help you achieve benefits, which could include an additional three years of life. Furthermore, your risk of premature death may decrease by 4 per cent for each additional 15 minutes of daily physical activity.
- Avoid overeating: There has been a link between excess calorie intake and longevity.
Dieticiansbelieve calorie restriction helps reduce excess body weight and belly fat, both of which are associated with shorter lifespans.
- Incorporate turmeric in food: Turmeric is a wonder spice that has immense anti-ageing properties. The spice contains a potent bioactive compound called curcumin that has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin helps maintain brain, heart, and lung function, as well as protect against cancers and age-related diseases.
- Avoid chronic stress: It is a proven fact that chronic stress and anxiety significantly lower your lifespan. There are many ways to avoid getting stressed, like laughter and optimism apart from taking professional therapy.
- Have a good sleeping pattern: It is important to have interrupted sleep for at least 8-9 hours every day so that cell functions are regulated to help the body heal. A recent study report has suggested that longevity is likely linked to regular sleeping patterns, such as going to bed and waking up around the same time each day.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.